Tuesday, July 5, 2011

July 5, 2011 Letter

Hello family! I hope you're having a fantastic week!

Well....I'm not really *supposed* to be sending you a full length e-mail...but we ran out of time yesterday to write letters because it was district p-day and so I figure if I'm taking extra time to write you a letter anyways I might as well just send you an email now....

Anyways...I've been transferred to the Everson Ward in Everson. It's a very large area--the biggest in the mission. We're right up against the Canadian border. Our area includes the towns of Peaceful Valley, Sumas, Wickersham, Acme, Nooksack, Everson, Maple Falls, Kendall and a little part of Bellingham. It's very...rural. But I'm not on a bike! =)

My new companion is Sister Taua. She is Samoan, from Hawaii. She and I get along practically perfectly. We both just finished really difficult transfers with really difficult companions, so we're BOTH relieved to be companions with each other!

Yesterday for the Fourth of July we were supposed to go into Blaine to see a parade....but the elders in our district were misinformed as to what time the parade started. So instead we just wandered around the street fair that was set up. So, basically, we didn't do anything. But Sister Taua and I were able to just laugh at how ridiculous the entire situation was. We came home at 6 and made ourselves hot dogs and then walked to the church (we live a block away...definitely an upgrade from being 10 miles from the building) and had a picnic. We stayed outside for planning and watched some of the fireworks that were starting up in the neighborhoods around us. They were pretty impressive for just being neighborhood fireworks!

We don't have very many solid investigators. Apparently over the past transfer, they ended up dropping 20 investigators because they weren't prepared to keep commitments or didn't want to be baptized yet. So, we're finding, but we have a few potential part member families that we might be able to start working with. The main problem in this area seems to be the area...lots of people think it's too far or too long to travel to the church building, or they don't have money for gas or they don't have a ride or something along those lines. We're focusing a lot on reactivation right now. Hopefully this transfer will see a big turn around in this area; I'm hoping so, since Sister Taua and I get along so well we'll really be able to work well and make a big difference here.

This Saturday we are going back down to Arlington to be at Tad's baptism; so that will be exciting!

Anyways, I hope that Jon's service mission goes (is going?) well! That is really exciting that he gets to do a mini-mission! (I was planning on writing him personally about it, but...like I said...we ran out of time for letters yesterday...)

Well...I should spend some time on mormon.org this morning, but it was good to read your emails! I love hearing from you and all about what you are doing. It sounds like Jon had a really good weekend bowling! Hope he keeps it up!

Love you all!
Sister Heather Holdsworth

No comments:

Post a Comment